Wicketkeeper-batsman Sanju Samson was on Friday included in the Indian squad against Sri Lanka in the third and final T20I between the two sides at the Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium in Pune.
was on Friday included in the Indian squad against Sri Lanka in the third and final T20I between the two sides at the Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium in Pune. He was one of three changes that India made for the match, the other two being the inclusion of
Samson may have over 3000 runs in T20s but has only one international appearance under his belt — he had made his debut against Zimbabwe in Harare in 2015. India have played 73 T20Is since then, which is the most number of matches between appearances for an Indian player in the shortest format of the game.
The record was previously held by
, who did not play a T20I between 2012 and 2015 in which time India played 65 T20Is.
Samson has been part of the Indian squad for the past eight T20Is, making it to the international scene after some consistent performances in domestic cricket. He started his innings with a first-ball six on Friday. However, he was dismissed off the very next ball he faced as India lost four wickets between the 10th and 13th overs.
more from times of india Sports
- In India, you have to be much disciplined with the basics: Aaron Finch10 Jan, 2020, 2035 hrs IST01:01
- Shane Warne’s ‘baggy green’ raises Aus$1m for bushfire appeal10 Jan, 2020, 1403 hrs IST01:21
- India vs SL: Sri Lankan cricketers gear up for 3rd T20I9 Jan, 2020, 2217 hrs IST01:27
- From 110th Ranking to Number Three: Rise of Labuschagne in Tests8 Jan, 2020, 1851 hrs IST01:10
- India steamroll Sri Lanka in 2nd T20I to go 1-0 up8 Jan, 2020, 1530 hrs IST01:08
- Prithvi Shaw in danger of missing New Zealand Tests7 Jan, 2020, 1309 hrs IST01:20
- India-Sri Lanka first T20I washed out6 Jan, 2020, 1050 hrs IST01:27
- To become a sporting nation, we need to invest at grassroots level: Anil Kumble5 Jan, 2020, 0811 hrs IST01:17
- It’s actual face of Pakistan: Gautam Gambhir on Danish Kaneria’s discrimination27 Dec, 2019, 1849 hrs IST01:25
- Pakistan needs to educate their players: Madan Lal on ex-Pak cricketer Danish Kaneria row27 Dec, 2019, 1840 hrs IST01:45